Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Home Sweet Home


Apparently, you can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl. It has been close to 20 years since I had an address in Texas and my speech has pretty much lost the twang of my youth. So it amazes me whenever someone is able to identify that is where I'm from. But it would seem that it has more to do with my mannerisms, not speech.

It had been my second visit that day to a rural Virginia gas station. First time had been to go the bathroom before hitting the trail we'd planned on hiking. Second had been to fill up the tank for the two hour trip back home. Plus, I was dying for a Dr. Pepper. I was joking with the guy behind the counter who had remembered me from that morning about how I couldn't bear to leave the area without spending more time in this particular establishment.

He had asked where is home to which I replied the DC area. His head shook then stated, "No that is not home to you. You're a Texas girl, right?"

How on earth did he guess that?

Looking quite pleased with himself, Sherlock explained it wasn't the "ya'll" I let slip out but the choice of soda on top of a friendly, laid back manner that tipped him off.

This little exchange popped into my head after I finished booking the flights for myself and kids for a month long "working vacation" to Dallas. After I had hit the "confirm" button, locking in the schedule, I felt such a rush of relief.

As much as I adore DC, and I really do, Dallas is home. Not only does my entire extended family (parents/siblings/aunts/cousins) all live there, there is a vibe there that is not here in DC. But the biggest thing is that feeling of relief that comes with basking in the familiarity of landscape and people.

Everything from being able to get a good glass of iced tea in a restaurant to the rush of heat that surrounds you when you step out of an air conditioned building feels "right".

I'm home. Well, come, June that is.

1 comment:

  1. There is something about Texas. My grandmother lived there for 20 years and began calling us "Yankees" with our "cricks & meers" (creeks and mirrors). She became our Yellow Rose of Texas. Texan by birth or transplant remains a Texan, y'all.

    ReplyDelete