Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown


Out of all the Charlie Brown Holiday Specials, "Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown" has always been the one that touched me the most.

Yes, I felt for Linus in his steadfast belief in the Great Pumpkin and that pitiful little Christmas tree. But nothing beat the watching of Charlie Brown's expectations build, then crash to the ground.

If you recall, no one gives him a single valentine of Valentine's Day. During the class party, somehow, every classmate forgot him. None of his friends send one to his home. You'd think Peppermint Patty would have remembered.

He is so disappointed. It breaks my heart every single time. The next day, some girls feel guilty and offer a used valentine. Schroeder berates them for being too late.

When Charlie Brown gladly accepts their guilt-motivated offering... I feel even sadder. To this day, I wish I was his friend. I would have cut out a big red heart out of construction paper and pasted in on white lace paper doily. Spelled out in glue and glitter: "Be My Valentine". Below that, a row of x's and o's.

No comments:

Post a Comment