Wednesday, March 4, 2009

LIfestreaming

August 08

It is interesting to me how Internet and cell phone technology keeps evolving. There is a group of folks (including myself) who enjoy "Lifestreaming".

This new buzzword refers to the idea that keeping close friends and family aware of any meaningful or funny action. This not for the very private individuals, more for the "open book" types who thrive on feeling connected to loved ones even 1000s of miles between you.

This is possible thanks to technology. It keeps getting better! Email has replaced the slow delivery of your traditional mail. Aand then there's the social networking sites like myspace or facebook that allows you to blog, post pictures, even video. But that's something you need to go back to your home/office or wherever your computer is connected to the internet to share.

For the "this is what I'm doing right now" they came up with microblogging which you can send it from your cell phone and it gets posted to your page or for those who subscribed can get it via IM, email or text message. This is far more spontaneous and fits my friend/family communication style more than carefully composed messages. And I can convey it to more than one family member or friend in one click.

The newest thing I signed up for is a site that is a central location for all those pictures you take when mobile. That beautiful sunset you are seeing... Your kid's beaming face as he hits his first homerun... Anything meaningful you would want to share with someone who cares about you and vice versa. You snap that picture via cam phone and hit "send" and up it goes to a page that ONLY your family/friends have access to.

A cool feature allows you to embed this photo-blog into your myspace or facebook site too. How much easier can it be to keep those you care about in the loop of what you are up to?!?

The site is radardotnet. My mom, dad, brother, aunt, cousins and closest friends are in my circle. We've been having a grand time posting those funny random images of life you miss when you live in different parts of the country.

That's the social side that has captured my interest.

Then there is a commercial side to it that even interests me more. Specifically how could this be used in advertising/public relations. My career has seen my industry first evole with desktop publishing... Then the Internet. I'm seeing I'm again on the cusp of a new shift and that so excites me.

No comments:

Post a Comment