Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mama Bear

Last spring, my little boy and I went to a neighborhood Japanese place for dinner after his game. By the time we left, it was dark. He was very worried walking in the dark about bad guys jumping us in the path home once we left the shopping center area.

Funny thing, I have a fear of walking in the dark ... it makes me very anxious. I had not realized how late it would be when we finishe dinner, otherwise I would have driven. But now too late, and I was with my kid who was scared. He needed me to get a grip on my fears and make him feel safe.

I asked him, do you want to know one the most fearsome creatures in nature? Its a mother bear with her cub. Anyone who would dare to approach a mother bear has a death wish.

He asked, "You'd be as scary as a mother bear?"

My response was that I know I'd be a force to be reckoned with. There'd be no way a bad guy would not regret approaching me and my kid. And as I said that, I realized it was true.

And for the first time in my life, I was ok walking in pitch dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment