Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Bird Poop in Produce

Jan

Whenever I need a winter pick-me-up, I head to Whole Foods. The store I go to is a mega-store style. They have a wine bar, and a sushi, BBQ, and gelato “bar” where everything was prepared on-site on top of an extensive bakery and seafood section.

But it is their big floral and produce department that draws me this time of year. All the bright colors and fresh scents dazzle my senses. Yes, many of those products are overpriced* but I’m paying for the experience. Plus, if I time it right, the entire store has enough samples scattered throughout that I can make a meal out of it. It always brightens my day to pay a visit.

However, I may have ruined the experience for young mother. She had her lovely toddler daughter in the front of the carriage with fresh fruits and vegetables, all organic I’m sure, piled up in the back. We were both waiting for a sample of freshly squeezed pineapple juice.

That’s when I heard the birds singing. I took my earphones out to listen. I asked her if she heard it too. She smiled widely and pointed to a pair of birds singing on the exposed ceiling rafters that seem to be all the interior design rage of many stores and restaurants these days. And she said to her adorable daughter, “see the birdies honey?”

Now. What would come to your mind about having birds in a grocery store?

If you were like me, you’d wonder how on earth they keep the bird droppings off the food!

So I mused about this out loud and the woman’s face fell. She looked at her basket of goodies with grave concern. I tried to make her feel better by saying birds and all sorts of wildlife had access when it was growing. That’s why we wash it.

She didn’t seem to cheer up at that fact; instead, I may have ruined her experience with a dose of unwelcome reality.

*Did you know that a 1,000 calories of pure junk food costs $1.76 whereas a 1,000 calories that are nutrient dense, organic, etc can cost $18.16? No wonder “the rich can never be too thin!”

No comments:

Post a Comment