Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Staying in the Moment

From 6/1/08

Corita Kent once said “Love the moment and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries.”

Like a lot of people, this is not something comes to me naturally at all. Its only possible for me if I’m completely engrossed in a task or activity at hand. Otherwise, my “monkey mind” is control. This is how Buddhists describe thoughts that wildly swing from branch to vine to branch and so on. Only stopping to howl, eat, scratch, etc.

I’m either focused on a memory or anticipating something in the future. Which isn’t a bad thing per se. Its quite pleasant to experience a joy from the past or be excited about something to come. There is always a lesson to learned from past sadness, fear or anger. And sometimes a negative anticipation can move you to change directions.

But when you keep your mind focused on the here and now, it brings you peace and resolve, even in a very sad or scary moment. And if it is a wonderful moment, there is a different kind of joy. Many claim this is when you are closest to God (or whatever you call your higher power) or most able to hear you own inner voice of wisdom.

As I said, this ability is something I rarely do unconsciously. Its something I have to seek and practice. My most common attempt at practicing this is when I go for a walk or jog. And even then its so hard! Things pop into my mind and I’m of and running mentally.

Ever once in awhile, I do manage to pull it off without trying, even if for just a few moments. And the power of those moments do take my breath away.

The other day I took the kids and the dog down to the neighborhood creek. Its a creek that is in a county watershed and eventually dumps into the Potomac River. Now is the time of the year that it truly feels like you’ve stepped into another world. The foliage hides the presence of the houses that are sometimes 100 yards away. Because of the spring rains, the flowing water combined with the singing birds drowns out the sounds of traffic from nearby roads. Rabbits, and even deer at times will be along the path or nearby woods.

They had wanted to explore a certain area of the creek itself so I sat on the bank while the kids waded. From where I sat I could smell nearby honeysuckle as the wind moved that scent through the trees. The sun was still high in the sky so it created such an interesting display of shadow and light on the water, making it sparkle in places as it rushed over the rocks. A few blossoms from a bush had been set free by the wind and they were slowly falling towards the water, where upon landing they’d rush off. A short distance away, I could see my kids sunlit heads turned towards something that was commanding their attention. I could hear wind whizzing through the trees.

I sat there basking in waves of pure contentment. Until I heard a lawn mower in the distance which made me think my lawn. Specifically where the part that was bare due to a beloved willow tree being removed. My mind started again wondering if the “tree guy” who had been hired to cut down some dead branches for $300 had really been telling the truth that the entire tree was dying. Had he really been motivated by helping us avoid spending $300 unnecessarily that day as that tree was going to need to be removed very soon which would cost $950. Or was it really he wanted the $950 instead of $300?

In the blink of an eye, I had left the joy of being in the moment and was living in a place of being suspicious and feeling a bit like a fool for not insisting we get another opinion. And regret because I miss that tree that was outside my kitchen window.

Monkey mind had taken over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment