Wednesday, March 4, 2009

One of the Best Gifts Ever

Often, my dad wasn't able to be the kind of father I wanted and needed in my childhood. But he could always be counted on to be a thoughtful listener with some insight that was usually right on target. And he was the King of Christmas and Birthdays.

He was the dad who always got you EXACTLY what you were wanting. My mother's practical nature was such the perfect foil... she'd have us believing what we were longing for was indeed too much. So it was always a wonderful surprise that Daddy, once again, came through.

He also loved coming through for other things that you thought you'd never get. One example: I had just moved to a small town in upstate New York for school. This Dallas girl was in complete culture shock. I was used to pretty (as in stylish, well-groomed) and friendly people... let alone "winters" that lasted maybe two months and consisted of maybe a dusting of show or ice that was usually melted by the afternoon.

(No offense at all intended to those who live in small upstate New York towns. This was the perception in the late 80s of an 18 year old girl used to her contemporaries calling other adults ma'am and sir, going out of your way to be nice to a new face... and, of course, wearing big hair and designer labels.)

However, I was thrilled to be invited a Fancy Big Event at school as I loved to get dressed up... but so dismayed when I went shopping in the local mall for a dress. The mall's anchors were Sears and a Sear's clone. Shops included Barbara Moss and other offerings of really cheap knock-offs of last year's trends. What was worse, was there seemed to be about 6 dresses repeated in store to store... I hated the idea of showing up wearing something another girl would be wearing.

Now I wasn't so excited and told my parents.

My mother thought it was good that I not be so superficial and make do with what was available.

Daddy, on the other hand... well, he flew me back down to Dallas for the weekend so he could take me shopping. I found this beautiful ice-blue, off the shoulder number. I remember looking at the price tag and thinking it was much too much. I started to put the dress back, but my dad had seen my face when I first saw it. He insisted I try it on... and buying it for me.

And how I loved wearing that dress! It was not crazy expensive (we weren't wealthy, Daddy worked for an airline) but it was beautifully made and I felt so pretty wearing it. The Fancy Big Event wasn't nearly as exciting as I had expected, but I will always remember how my father's gift made me feel so special.

Daddy is still coming through for me... but now by doing the same sort of thing for my children. My son is a huge Dallas Cowboy fan (I took a vow when I left Dallas to live in DC area that any children I had would NOT be raised Redskin fans).

For Halloween, he wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy... being deep in Redskin Territory, no costumes around here. So I asked my brother if he had seen any in Dallas. He did earlier this month but they were now gone. He saw my dad that night for dinner and mentioned it to him how he was bummed that he couldn't find a Cowboy costume for my son for me.

Yesterday, a package arrived from Grandpy. It was not only a miniature Dallas Cowboy uniform, but my son's favorite player... Tony Romo. The kid was so excited, he wore the helmet doing his homework.

That gift beats any gift he's ever given me... my own beloved boy's moment of joy opening that box.

(The photo is what I snapped with my phone-cam to send my Dad before calling to thank him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment