Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Teenage Drinking

Dec 2008


Tis the season so I'm doing the holiday party thing every weekend this month. Last night's shin-ding was kid inclusive. The kids are older so the adults are past the time of needing to make sure no one leaves a cocktail in reach of a toddler or pre-schooler.

However, I learned last night that when there are children around the age 14, you need to keep your eye on the bar now.

All the adults had migrated into the dining and living rooms to talk and laugh. The younger kids were running around in different parts of the house. A popular game last night, which was new to me, is "Sardine." Its a reverse of "Hide and Go Seek" of sorts. Only ONE kid hides while all the others count to 30 or so. Then they seek the one kid, and as they find them, they join them in the hiding spot, often squeezing into tight spots.

I make my way into the kitchen to get a drink and the two teenage girls around the kitchen island that is laden with snacks and the booze. Immediately, I noticed one girl cover a mug that was in front of her with her hand and both of their body language became guarded. But they gave themselves away when I turned my back to fill my glass with water and the mug moved to the far side of the counter next to the other girl.

Ah-ha. They too had seen that I had noticed the mug and hand covering. A game of cat and mouse ensued. Instead of rejoining the adults, I chatted with the girls. They were friendly polite girls, which I'd expect as I know their parents very well. Another mom, who wasn't either of their mothers, wandered in a moment later. Our eyes met and I knew her Mom Senses had kicked on and was staying in that kitchen for same reason.

I didn't torture them too long with having to politely talk their parents' friends nor did I bust them for trying to sneak booze. However, given they are only 14 years old, and as cool as I think I am, they're too young to be drinking. Its one thing for a parent to hand their teenager a glass of champagne... but I'd have to turn in my Good Mother Club Membership if I let them drink.

I toyed with them for awhile by "tidying up the kitchen" while continuing the small talk. Along with the empty glasses, plates and platters... I also picked up that small collection of full glasses of wine and cocktails left on the island. I'm sure some were indeed unfinished drinks of adult guests who had left.

Then I went ahead and ended the game when I picked up their mug, peered into it before dumping the wine into the sink. By the time I had turned back around, the girls were outta there. The other mom and I didn't say a word, just a raised eyebrow and smile said it all.

This morning, I'm on the fence about how to tell their parents. Their daughters are obviously curious and experimenting. This time, they tried it in a safe place... next time... something awful could happen. But its so hard to find the right words that won't cause an over-reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment