Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dissecting a Child's Drawing

From 4/24/08

I've heard it said before that the "heart of the home" is its kitchen. Which is very true in my home. And its interesting that without even having a conversation about this my 8 year old son recognizes this.

I'm looking at a picture he drew entitled "My Favorite Room". Its our kitchen. He doesn't have every detail of our kitchen but its interesting to see what he has:

Thhe stove and microwave (with microwave door open) is to the left.

In center he's got our kitchen window with a sun shining and the kitchen island. On the island is the ingredients and tools for making cake. He stands to the left of the island and I stand to right holding a bowl. We are in there cooking together. (He loves to cook with me. Its like a science project and he's an adventurous soul in that he loves to try new flavors... the kid loves sushi!)

To the right of the picture is the cupboard with the glass door where I have "pretty" dishes/glasses. He also included the fridge and vase with flowers. On the fridge he has a magnet with a smiley face. On the wall is a picture of smiling face.

What is interesting to me is he left out all the counters. There is space for them but they aren't there. He did include the kitchen floor, complete with its criss-cross pattern... which must have been very time-consuming to draw and ran out of time for the counter. He has 3 rows of X's that meet the above and below.

The other note... both of our right hands have 5 digits... yet both of our left hands only have 4!

What pleases me from the point of being his mother though, clearly the space is a happy one for him. And it includes us doing an activity that is clearly meaningful to him.

He didn't draw the family room where his beloved play station is... nor did he draw the library where I keep the kids' computer with games he loves.

And I admit it... I have been missing how he rarely wants to cuddle nowadays. Only time I get a hug is coming/goings (and that's a quick one if public!). If we are watching something he considers kinda scary, he will sit next to me on the couch. But that's IT! He was such a mama's cuddlebug way back in the day... and I miss it.

But looking at his "favorite room"... he's still my little man. Which I know is fleeting. It will evolve, as it should, so I will cherish each phase as it unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment