Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Mother's Duty

from 6/10/08

In saying goodbye to my kids as they go off to school, I say to the boy, “I’ll see you at your class picnic today. Remember your Dad can’t make it today.”

He replies with an “ok”, but Mama is picking up on a sadness/disappointment under that. That’s not the way to begin your day. So I respond with, “And you know what that means don’t you?”

Intrigued, he says, “What?”

“We’ll have to talk about him since he’s not there. Let’s start a rumor about your dad!” Now I’ve caught my daughter’s attention, she’s now listening with a smile.

“Let’s tell EVERYONE Daddy has a third nipple!” I gleefully add.

The girl giggles. My son says “You are so weird.” But he’s smiling. I can tell the mood is lifting. Just one more thing, then my motherly duty will be completed...

“We’ll tell people its on his chin and that’s why he has a beard. To cover it.” Both children burst out laughing.

Now they may go to school

No comments:

Post a Comment