Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Environment: A Moral Issue?

From 5/8/08

I’m not a scientist... Nor do I have a scientific mindset. I’m intelligent but I do let how I FEEL about things influence my decision making process rather than focusing completely on empirical data (mostly because I don’t necessarily understand every nuance of it!). Case in point, the ongoing debate about global warming which is in the headlines due to the tragic deaths and destruction happening in Burma as a result of that recent cyclone that hit. (Which has been made worse due to that country’s corrupt leaders delaying aid!)

When I saw Al Gore’s documentary, I walked away not entirely understanding the analysis that had been presented to know if indeed it was a combination sound data gathering and interpretation. But, I believe that we human’s are indeed fucking up the environment as result of laziness, ignorance and greed.

There is such a debate going on about whether or not human’s are responsible for climate change. Heck, there’s a huge debate if climate change is actually even happening. Smarter people than myself have weighed in on whether or not the information presented in the documentary is accurate. Others have presented empirical data that contradicts the movie’s.

My gut tells me climate change is going on and its our fault. Despite the fact that the "scientific" community used to believe the world was flat... I don't believe that 3,500 scientists are now wrong.

What bothers me is that like most things in the press, its become a political issue. The press is how the majority of us, the non-politicians and non-scientists get our information. Politics is what is greatly influencing every opinion or “fact” reported. Individuals who dislike Al Gore for what he has done during his political career immediately discount ANYTHING he has to say on the subject of global warming and how to reverse it.

However... What intrigues me is how to many, where a person falls in terms of his/her belief regarding the environment as well as their daily actions impact it is now a moral or ethical issue. If it doesn’t line up with their beliefs, the other person’s esteem can either dip or plummet.

This is something I confess to be guilty doing.

If a friend or potential friend drives an SUV that NEVER EVER leaves the main highway, I think a little less of them. They are using up so much of a dwindling resource and polluting the air for a rather superficial reason. Oh! And when its a female friend and mother who claims she drives it because she feels “safer” and better able to protect her children in a crash... I really think less of her. What about the people who drive normal or economy size cars because they can’t afford an SUV and/or don’t want to add to the pollution any more than they have to? They nor their children rarely walk away unscathed from an accident with and SUV. They and the environment would have a better odds if you didn’t drive that SUV.

I just got myself all worked up thinking about the above!!! See what a hot button this has become?

Then there are the people who won’t recycle. How hard is it to toss a newspaper/magazine, glass bottle, aluminum can or plastic container into bin in their home rather than the trash can? It does make trash day a bit more time consuming. You have to separate the trash and make two trips to the curb. I know every time I’ve been tempted to not do it... Its been pure laziness on my part. Or ignorance, there’s been times that I didn’t know something could go into the recycling bin.

I don’t understand why people aren’t using at least ONE compact florescent light bulb in their house. Yes they are more expensive than standard bulbs but they use 75% LESS ENERGY and last 10 times longer!!! Ideally we could all replace our bulbs to cut down on energy consumption and increasing the landfill waste... But just one bulb would make a difference. Why not be a part of the solution than a part of the problem???

Or spend a few pennies more to purchased recycled paper products. I will confess a professional secret. You ready? When I act as a print buyer on behalf of my clients and bid out the printing of their publication, brochure and/or stationary... Those bids are ALWAYS using recycled paper which isn’t always the least expensive. Its not a huge difference in price, if at all.

Client still gets 3 different estimates and paper samples to consider. And its says right on the estimate that its recycled paper. I dread the day a client says, bid it out using non-recycled paper then they want me to have it printed on it. Wonder if I’ll have the ethical kahunas to refuse to handle their job and risk losing them as a client? Being righteous can come at a cost!

You know... Maybe I should consider putting on my company’s website that we only work with recycled paper. That’s something to really consider!

This reminds me of the flip side of my assigning ethics and morality to people choosing to do the above is that I know it can rightfully be turned around on myself.

My children are constantly pointing out how I let the water run to wash dishes or brush my teeth. I can’t turn off the shower water when soaping off because I hate the cold. I think a toilet with urine is disgusting so flush right away rather than using it a few more times then flushing. So far, I’ve managed to avoid learning the facts of water waste because I know it would impact my personal laziness and perceived comfort.

Funny though how I can totally rationalize away my own behavior isn’t it? But now that I’ve admitted it... I know I’m gonna have to change my ways. Clean water is a luxury that I’ve been wasting.

Which is what I think the key to our improving the environment. It comes down to individuals refusing to be ignorant, lazy and/or selfish. That’s when the change occurs. The more who knock that off... The better our environment becomes. And I also suspect that mindset can also transfer to how we treat other people too. Then the world really is a better place!

No comments:

Post a Comment