Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Interpreting Ancient/Historical Writings in Modern Times

from 6/13/08

I'm very fond of some Hindu scripture that basically declares that there is no ONE way to God. "People follow different paths, straight or crooked, according to their temperament, depending on which they consider best, or most appropriate—and all reach You {God}, just as rivers reach the ocean."

This is something I not only believe but have taught my children.

What truly fascinates me lately... India is where Hinduism was born. But so was the caste system. I'd like some day to understand how that was possible that both of these cultural and religious beliefs were practiced.

I wonder if its like our founding fathers... they wrote "all men were created equal" yet owned slaves. Women were also considered property. The title "man" wasn't used to mean all human beings. "Men" only applied to white Christians males of European descent.

Or did they really mean "human beings" but realized that the culture of that day couldn't evolve that much that soon. But those men who wrote that document knew society would continue on the path of enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment