Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tea for Me

Nov 2008

In the warmer months, like almost every Texas-raised person, I live on iced tea. I'll make pitcher after pitcher, flavoring it with pure cranberry, pomegranate or blueberry is relatively new healthy addition. However, once there is a chill in the air, that stops.

Then, then my British-Canadian roots take over. My mother's family is so British, all of them had portraits of the queen hanging in their farm houses back New Brunswick. Now my mother didn't go that far when she relocated Great State of Texas, but she did impart the love of a good cup of tea.

I suspect part of keeping the afternoon tea tradition was due to the tea-cup collection that is now in my custody. I had started throwing holiday tea parties as well as having a daughter. My mother thought the collection would get used rather more often than sitting on a shelf in her home. She had promised her mother the collection would be used. So I had to make the same promise. And I surely have.

Mum's family (yes I've got to be only kid in Texas that would say "Y'all come meet my mum") were very modest people. However one luxury they would indulge upon was this fine china. A new beautiful cup and saucer that the lady of the house would grant herself once ever so often, so collection grew. Then was separated when their were two daughters. To this day, I delight in recognizing in a cousin's collection one of my cups.

So what I have now is a hodge podge. The only common factor is the quality. Since the collection became mine 10 years ago, I've added two cups and saucers that just struck my fancy as time has passed.

Let me tell you, tea DOES taste differently in fine china tea cup as opposed to a ceramic mug. There's also another commonality in each cups... they've all got pretty spring/summer flowers or other bright/shiny designs.

Which is especially appreciated by this sunshine and flower loving woman. As the plants and trees die for a few months and days are shorter, I need bursts of light and warmth to ward off the blues.

What I cherish the most when drinking from these cups though is reflecting about the women, that save one, I never knew personally who are a part of me. They had dreams just like I do for themselves and their daughters. With this small group of women, I share the bond of DNA... traditions... and tea cups.

When the time comes, I will pass along the collection, telling my daughter which ones chosen by Great-Great-Great Grammy all the way down to me. And tell her these are not meant for just show but to use. Perhaps she'll muse as I do about these women and feel the same sense of connection. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment