Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Breast Whisperer

4/30/08

In last Sunday's Post, there was an article about a woman called "The Breast Whisperer."

I kid you not.

She's basically a very skilled (and expensive) lactation consultant. In other words, she helps new mothers learn to breast feed their babies. At $150 per hour, she will come to your house and help you overcome any breast feeding issue you are having.

Now, I'm the first person to agree that breast feeding doesn't come "naturally." Both my kids were breast fed and I had a hell of a time getting the hang of it the first time around. There is some critical information that someone has to TELL you, ideally show you.

Most women of my generation had mothers who society told them it was "low class" and "not best for the baby" to breast feed them. We didn't grow up watching our mothers and aunts breast feeding other new babies in the family.

My own very loving mother stayed with me those very first days of new motherhood to help me. I remember as I struggled with the pain (baby wasn't latching on properly so nipples were sore and cracking) and anxiety there was enough milk coming out, she'd hoever in background holding one of those free samples of formula. As both the baby and I cried, I seriously considered giving up.

But then one of my best friends, mother of preschooler and toddler herself now, showed up with a tube of lanolin (for cracked nipples) and information. Almost immediately the agony that was accompanying the process disappeared.

Though, it took me another 3 months to figure out how discreetly unbutton blouse, unhook one side of the nursing bra all while keeping a baby blanket discreetly covering the babies head so no one actually saw any breast feeding. Until then, only way I could feed the baby was to do it topless. Needless to stay, I didn't get out much.

My mother still loves to talk about my younger brother's look of shock and horror when he came from Dallas to visit for the first time. I had been going on week two of sleep deprivation and didn't even stop to consider he was in the room when I stripped down to feed the baby.

Anywayyyy... I can see the need in our current society for a consultant. But when I read the comments from the women who had used her... It struck me that the use of this woman in our area had become yet another "status symbol."

These new mommies being quoted surely had friends like I did who could have just as easily clued them in on the "secrets." It made me wonder also how many of these mommies were the ones who saw a baby as the ultimate fashion accessory?

I've actually known a few of the women. Its really kinda sad. Their babies grew up into the children who are now often the ones that are drugged up with Ritalin to control their behavior. And/or every single waking hour is scheduled with various lessons... just "playing" after school is unheard of.

Of course, I'm totally over-generalizing. I'm know the "Breast Whisperer" has many clients that aren't using her services as a status thing.

And I have to confess that what made me even read the article was upon seeing the headline, I had this image of some guy gently telling the non-lactating breasts to start producing while stroking them softly. I thought this guy has got to be a genius if he is getting paid $150 per hour to do that!

1 comment:

  1. Great article. Gosh, why would you need someone to teach you to breast feed? Breast feeding has been here for ages, did they need teaching also on how to? Breast feeding is a personal decision but I believe in it, because it's the most natural way to feed your baby and it creates a bond between mother and child.

    ReplyDelete